Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I am definately not used to getting up at 2:30 am for a feeding and again at 6:30 a.m. My daughters began sleeping through the night at 6-8 weeks and would sleep for 10-12 hours. Neither of them were early risers which was great for me because I am NOT a morning person!

This morning we decided to give Edison a bath. I wasn't sure how he would react so we decided to try the sink instead of the tub. He absolutely HATED it - he screamed and cried the entire time. Once we wrapped him up he was content.

Paula picked us up about 12:30 at the hotel to take us back to the Mission Center. We hung out at her house until our crew returned from a day of work in Magdalena. Paul had an exersaucer that Edison loved. He especially liked to "jump" and I think he learned the word "jump" in English pretty quickly.

Barbara Pinkston was the first through the door to see him. He had just fallen asleep about 5 minutes before they all arrived. Kensley, Mama and Emily all saw him about the same time. Kensley had the sweetest smile on her face and said, "Hi Eddy" "Oh, he's so sweet. That's my baby brother." I remember my mom saying, "Awe". Emily's first reaction was "He's got big ears!" His ears are not that big - he just needs to grow into them a little :-)

Everone was in for just a few minutes and the majority turned around to make the trek up the volcano. Volcano Pacaya is an active volcano. Their tour guide was a young man (age 16) who was a Guatemalan with albinism. His name was Francisco but they called him Kermit. (Not sure why). He looked much older than his age but a life as hard as his would do that to a person. Kensley and Paul walked up the volcano - Emily rode a horse. The horse was a 6 year old mare. Emily said the horse was skinny and it was said because she was very short and little and began breathing hard. Emily felt sorry for the horse. We are horse people and our horses are spoiled and used for pleasure only. I think the girls were surprised to see that horses in Guatemala have to work and are actually "tools" for the people. They carry large heavy loads up steep mountains and back. They work very hard and are not pets like our As-U-May, Sports Paige and Beach Boy.

When they got to the top of the volcano they were able to see the molten lava rolling. Travis made the observation that if they were in the USA they would be hundreds of yards away standing behind a rope or other type of barrier. Not in Guatemala - our crew roasted marshmallows over the glowing lava and lit torches! The ash field was really deep. Emily said if you stepped, it came up to her knees. Basically, they would take a step and slide down, take another step and slide, etc. They went up in the daylight and came down at dark using flashlights.

When everyone arrived back at the house they were completely exhausted. They did return with some lava rocks.

Mama, Lea Ann, Rob, Jackie and I stayed at the house with Edison. He was good however he has already attached to me and wants me in his sites at all times. Nannie scrambled him an egg which he really enjoyed. Aunt Lea or "Tia Leah" as we like to call her now, brought him some gifts - white shoes, socks, a bucket hat with Diego on it and a toy. He liked the toy. Each time the music played he would shake his head side to side.

It was a very long evening. Lea had a headache and Mom was tired and Edison only wanted me. My muscles in my shoulders and my low back were so sore! He fought a nap but finally gave in about 5 minutes before everyone came back home.

Edison loved Kevin, the Greene's little boy they have guardianship of in Guatemala. Edison was scared of Chloe, the Cocker Spaniel, and started screaming when Chloe barked. He really liked Rob Raines and Jackie and even held his arms up for Rob to take him.

Did I mention that the volcano troop arrived about an hour later than planned? I was truly exhausted. I now know why God gives newborns that lay around like lumps and slowly become more and more active. It is to break the parents in! Trust me, it is hard to go from no baby for 10 years to a very active, into everything, I want to be the center of your attention, 9 month old.

His foster mom told us that he was very active and liked to explore everything. She was correct! I think she must carry him around on her hip with one of those wraps because he wants to be held all the time. That's okay - I just wish I would have had one of those!

That evening, Paul and Fontaine took us back to the Tikal. Emily and Kensley joined us for their first night with Edison.

This time he was exhausted and slept all night long!


NOTE - Take a Snuggli for an older child when we go back to Guatemala.

No comments:

We've been waiting how long ? ? ?

From the day we filled out our application for adoption (9/11/2007) to the day we picked up Edison's visa to come to the United States (9/11/2008) took exactly one year! Of my three pregnancies - this paper pregnancy was the longest and most stressful. Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

I want to call my mom, but I don't know the country code - HELP!!

Will he wink?????

WE ARE OUT OF PGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days, we are thrilled to announce that our file is out of PGN. We now await Edison's new birth certificate with our names listed as his parents and the Final Adoption Decree. Our estimated travel date is late July!!!!!!!!! God is so good!!

Guatemalan Flag

Guatemalan Flag