Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Today is the day! We finally meet Edison! I cannot wait :-)

We awoke again this morning to the delicious smell of bacon frying. We ate bacon, scrambled eggs and toast.

Mitch read a devotion from Max Lucado. The girls were very concerned about their hair today they all either had it in french braids or ponytails and had it plastered with hairspray! I hope it works!

Everone is gone now. Paul has walked to the store to exchange money and buy drinks. It is killing him not to be working with the team today. I'm taking a short nap so I can be prepared if Edison is up crying al night!

So ... Paul is still on Kentucky time and we are living on Guatemala time. Paul said our driver would be here at 11:30. Ana Maria said our driver would be here at 11:30. Thinking I had plenty of time to take a nap, take a shower, fix my hair and make-up plus pack my suitcase to move to the Grand Tikal Futura Hotel - I thought I was moving along quite well until I heard the doorbell ring at 10:30 according to Paul's watch! It was our driver who spoke NO English. I heard Paul tyring to talk to him. He said, "Un momento, mi espousa es despachio." Translated, that means, "One minute, my spouse is slow!"

Luckily, I had awoken from my nap early, had been in the shower, packed my clothes and put on my makeup. The only thing left was to attempt to fix my hair wihtout a hair dryer. I only had a round brush and hairspray and I was out the door in less than 5 minutes!

We were then on our way with Sylvester, our drive, to Cinthya's office to finally meet Edison! The drive from Paula and Fontaine's house to her office was interesting. Paul told us that Zone 15 where the office is = is the "ritzy" part of town. At one point we saw lots of people standing around and numerous police inside a square of black barriers. You could see between the cracks where the corners came together that the police were working a fatality. They had just placed a body into a body bag and were zipping it. I did not see any damaged vehicles so we assume it was a pedestrian. Sad!

After turning up and down one way streets and driving in what seemed like circles, we finally arrived at the Offices of God Bless the Children. Marcella met us at the steel door to let us in. We asked her to ask our driver if he could wait for us and then take us to the Tikal. he said he would be glad, that he would wait in his car and take a "siesta". Marcella told us she understood more english than she could speak however I later heard here speak excellent English.

when I walked in the door Marcella said we could have a seat in the waiting room while she went to get Ana Maria. Paul and I turned the corner ... and there he was! I knew him instantly and said, "Oh, it's Eddy! - I think!" I looked at him again and said, "It is him!" He immediately smiled. I didn't want to just take him so I talked to him and tried to get him to come to me. I turned to look at Paul with tears in my eyes. I asked him to get the camera but he already had it. Edison reached for me and of course, I took him. He snuggled into my neck like he had known me all his life. Paul asked me if I was going to cry - by then my tears had been replaced by smiles and the wonderful feeling of having him in my arms.

Edison was very interested in Paul so I finally handed him over. Eddy loved Paul's glasses and his goat-tee (how do you spell that?) He kept pulling away to get a good look at Paul's face and he would rub the hair on Paul's chin.

I asked the lady who was holding Eddy if she was Teresa. She said, yes. I knew who she was because she looked so sad. Teresa has been Eddy's foster mother since the day he came home from the hospital. It is obvious she loves him very much.

By this time, Ana Maria had walked in. I love to hear her talk in English. She pronounces every word very distinctly. She showed us around the office and introduced us to everyone. Before being shown around, Edison started crying and reaching for his foster mom. I let him go back to her. When Ana Maria walked she must have told Teresa to give him to us. Teresa visibly became upset and Ana went to get her a glass of water. Paul and I walked away to give her some space.

Teresa told us that Eddy was a "smiley baby" and that he liked to play ball. She also said the only time he cried was when he was hungry. I asked Ana Maria to tell Teresa that we appreciate her taking such good care of him. We can tell that he is healthy and happy.

Ana Maria later told Paul and I that Teresa is very shy but is wonderful with the babies. That was obvious! They also told us that they had recently given a newborn to Teresa since Eddy would soon be leaving. I know the new baby will not be the same but hopefuly will fill the void when Edison comes to be with us.

Of course I left my list of questions I had a home. I did think to ask who named Eddy and they told me his birth mother had named him. That is nice to know. Ana Maria told Teresa we were naming him Edison but his nickname would be Eddy so it was fine to continue to call him that.

Cinthya finally arrived. We visited only a few minutes before leaving. She wanted to see me while I was visting Guatemala. We exchanged big hugs, had photos with her holding Eddy. She is so sweet and we are blessed to have an attorney who has such compassion for the children and who is a Christian.

Paul, Eddy and I finally arrived at the Grand Tikal. It is a lovely hotel. Edison fell asleep on the ride to the hotel. He woke up very hapy in the lobby.

One thing I forgot to mention was that Teresa said Edison liked the Cheerios I had sent him. That was neat because I just happened to have another container in my purse for him. He is so cute when he eats them. He has 2 teeth on the top and 2 on the bottom and he eats them like a rabbit. Very cute!

We quickly learned he likes to mimic. He would clear his throat and I would do it and he would do it again. We spent the rest of the afternoon at the hotel just hanging out with Eddy. Paul and I are both so in love with him and we cannot wait to introduce him to the rest of the family!

No comments:

We've been waiting how long ? ? ?

From the day we filled out our application for adoption (9/11/2007) to the day we picked up Edison's visa to come to the United States (9/11/2008) took exactly one year! Of my three pregnancies - this paper pregnancy was the longest and most stressful. Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

I want to call my mom, but I don't know the country code - HELP!!

Will he wink?????

WE ARE OUT OF PGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days, we are thrilled to announce that our file is out of PGN. We now await Edison's new birth certificate with our names listed as his parents and the Final Adoption Decree. Our estimated travel date is late July!!!!!!!!! God is so good!!

Guatemalan Flag

Guatemalan Flag