Sunday, January 20, 2008

Kids say the darndest things!

I've got a few stories to tell about the funny things that kids say.

The first is a conversation I had with my 10 year old daughter, Kensley. One day, out of the blue, she asked, "Mama, if me and Emily get older and Edison is still little, and I don't mean to make you mad, but what if, now I don't mean to make you mad, but let's just say, what IF, something happened to you and Daddy? Who would take care of Edison?" I told her that it would depend on how old she and Emily were and if they were mature enough to take care of him. She said, "So... I could take care of him if something happened to you?" I said, "Yes, as long as you wanted to and you were old enough." Her reply, was "Good, I want him!" I told her I thought that was very sweet and then I asked, "Do you think something might happen to me and your Dad?" And she said, "Well...." My reply was, "Do you think we're too old to have a new baby?" To which she sheepishly replied, "Well, sorta." I told her that 37 years old was not too old to have a baby and that lots of people my age and older either have a baby or they adopt. I told her I was pretty young when she and Emily were born. She seemed satisfied and went back to playing. You just never know what a child is thinking!

My nephew, Cash, spent the night with us last night. I put together a Welcome to Our Family book for Edison and had Shutterfly.com print it. We are sending it to Guatemala with a friend on Tuesday who will make sure Edison and his foster mom receive it. I read the book to Cash this morning. The book introduces Eddy to Paul and I, his sisters, our house, our dog, our horses, our truck, different rooms in the house, his grandparents and his aunts and uncles. I made one page with my nieces and nephews and titled it "more family". Cash's first question was, "Why don't you have my name in that book?" I said, "I wrote more family". He said, "You have my Granna's name in that book. How come my name is not in there?" I said, "I only had a little place to type and I couldn't get everybody's names in there." He finally let that go. His next question was, "Aunt Dana, do you really have a little baby?" I said, "Yes, I do, but he lives in Guatemala right now but he is going to move here and live with us." He said, "Is he going to leave his mama there?" I said, "Well, Eddy's mom does not have enough money to buy food or clothes for him and she can't take care of him so she is going to let us adopt him and come and live with us because we can buy food and clothes for him. We will be his new Mama and Daddy." He said, "Well, me and my momma have enough money so we can help you take care of him sometimes." I said, "Okay - because I may need it!" Cash is 4 years old and he is so excited about his new little cousin. I hope they will be great friends!!

No comments:

We've been waiting how long ? ? ?

From the day we filled out our application for adoption (9/11/2007) to the day we picked up Edison's visa to come to the United States (9/11/2008) took exactly one year! Of my three pregnancies - this paper pregnancy was the longest and most stressful. Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

I want to call my mom, but I don't know the country code - HELP!!

Will he wink?????

WE ARE OUT OF PGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days, we are thrilled to announce that our file is out of PGN. We now await Edison's new birth certificate with our names listed as his parents and the Final Adoption Decree. Our estimated travel date is late July!!!!!!!!! God is so good!!

Guatemalan Flag

Guatemalan Flag