Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Edison's biological mom

I received a notarized copy of the DNA results yesterday. Attached to the back was a picture of Eddy with his biological mom. I knew it was going to be there but I did not expect the feelings I had when I saw her holding him. My heart ached for her. Usually, the children are just sitting in mom's lap - there is no emotion - and the mother is barely touching the child. Edison's mom, Jemmy, was actually holding him in her arms. They were both looking at the camera and it looked like he was trying to put his hand on her cheek. I know she loves him, or she would have never placed him for adoption. She is a beautiful young girl. She is 18 years old and has a 20 month old son at home. She is unmarried and lives with her mother. She stated in the relinquishment papers that she could not afford to care for both children. I cannot imagine what life would be like to be so poor I could not care for my children and had to make a decision to give them up - knowing it would break my heart; also knowing that it would be for the best.

I cried for Jemmy yesterday. I hope to meet her one day so I can express to her how grateful I am that she has allowed Paul and I to raise her son. I give God all the glory for orchestrating Eddy's birth and allowing our adoption of him.

I love this poem and it is perfect to place in today's blog:

TO OUR BABY BOY

We both love you,
and we both have hopes and dreams for your future.
She carried you in her body for nine months;
I carried you in my dreams for numerous years.

She labored through birth;
I labored through INS, social workers, and foreign law.
She is nature; I am nurture.
She wonders are you healthy?
I sit and rock you wondering when your fever will go down.

She wonders if you have enough to eat;
I wonder should I make you eat your broccoli.
She wonders are you happy; I love to hear you laugh.
She wonders if you are loved;
My heart melts with every smile and breaks with every tear I soothe.

She wonders what you look like;
I proudly display your pictures all over the house.
She hopes you get a good education;
I sit and help you with your homework every night.

She wonders what you will grow up to be like;
I teach you to be strong, independent, and to believe in yourself.
She wonders if you will marry and have children;
I help you plan your wedding day and cry when I hold my grandchild for the first time.

She gave you life; I am grateful to her every day that you are a part of my life.
She will always wonder about you;
I will always be thankful to her for bringing you into this world.
She will always be your biological mother; I will always be mommy.

by Audrie LaVigne

2 comments:

jeanette said...

ok -that poem has left me with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. how wonderful that you have a picture of Edison's birth mom to show him -what a blessing that is.

Anonymous said...

That poem is beautiful. You are a great mom to the girls and Edison is blessed by God to have you and Paul, Em and Kensley. And you are blessed to be getting a son to go with your girls.

We've been waiting how long ? ? ?

From the day we filled out our application for adoption (9/11/2007) to the day we picked up Edison's visa to come to the United States (9/11/2008) took exactly one year! Of my three pregnancies - this paper pregnancy was the longest and most stressful. Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

I want to call my mom, but I don't know the country code - HELP!!

Will he wink?????

WE ARE OUT OF PGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days, we are thrilled to announce that our file is out of PGN. We now await Edison's new birth certificate with our names listed as his parents and the Final Adoption Decree. Our estimated travel date is late July!!!!!!!!! God is so good!!

Guatemalan Flag

Guatemalan Flag