Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'm finding I have very little time...


Since adding a 17 month old to our household a little over one month ago, I am finding that I have much less time to "play" on the computer than I did before he arrived!


I can't believe he has been with us for a month. It mostly seems like he has always been with us and there is still a little part of me that remembers how "easy" life was with our two girls.


Edison is now officially a United States Citizen - we received his Certificate of Citizenship and a letter from George W. Bush welcoming him to our wonderful country and referring to him as a "Fellow American"! Since we are changing his name, we will have to pay for a new Certificate of Citizenship which costs $200.00! Paul suggested that Eddy is a fine name and Edison could be his nickname. I am holding firm - I think he needs a grown-up name! For those of you adopting from China, be happy that you get to rename your child in China - it saves money and eliminates extra paperwork - believe me when I say that I am soooo tired of adoption paperwork! Can I get an amen??? Paperwork is the last thing you want to think about when the adoption is final!!


Edison is into a nice little routine now. We still keep all of the doors closed but he checks each of them periodically to see if he can get into the "fun places". His favorite game to play (and the place we can always find him when he is missing) is in the bathroom, transferring the garbage out of the trash can into the toilet! Gross!


Edison knows several words - Mama (my favorite), Dad-da, look, doggie, drink, he calls Emily - "Nemma" and he calls Kensley something that I don't know how to type. He kept saying one word over and over that sounded like "mom" but I knew it wasn't Mama. He used the word when he wanted a drink or was eating. One day, I thought, maybe he was saying "more" or "mas" (the Spanish word for "more") so when he said it, I asked, "Mas?" and he looked at me with this gleam in his eye that said, "Wow! You know Spanish???" Since then, I have tried to use more Spanish words that I think he might have known. His favorite food is eggs and you can tell he knew the word "huevos". I took him into work the other day and Maria heard him say "Ja!". He says that a lot and I thought it was just baby talk. Come to find out - in Spanish, Ja means "ready" and that is exactly when he says it - after changing his diaper or when we tell him we are ready to go! Amazing! The best thing is to see the twinkle in his eye when he understands what we are saying.


Other things he does:


  • Says "Tah-Daaa" when he does something cool!
  • Climbs up and jumps off of everything!!
  • Expects someone to catch him when he jumps - even if you are across the room!
  • Plays "peek-a-boo" and covers his ears instead of his eyes.
  • Plays patty-cake.
  • Chases the cats - they have learned to run if he comes in their direction.
  • Loves to watch ceiling fans!
  • Emily says he will be 50 years old, pointing at ceiling fans and saying "Ah!"
  • Philip told me to take him to Lowe's Ceiling Fan Dept - he will think he is in heaven!
  • Loves to dance and is partial to rap music!
  • Leaves bruises when he bites - just ask Kensley - she'll be glad to show you hers!
  • Throws tantrums by throwing his head and arching his back - usually these are due to him not getting his way!
  • Loves to play outside.

There is much more I could write but it is time I go to bed - I'm tired!


3 comments:

Jill said...

a whole month! Oh my goodness! Doesn't it fly by? Why can't it slow down like how sloooow time seemed to go when we were waiting for our children to get to us? He sounds like a spunky one - I love the peekaboo ears! * LOL *

Amy said...

I only have a handful of Mandarin phrases, but Kate gets a huge smile when I use them. It has really helped our budding relationship. Ten days ago I was still getting dirty looks.

Anonymous said...

Dana, Edison is precious!! So glad to see you home and doing well. Joseph is doing great - adjusting beautifully. We think of you and AHH so often - soooo grateful to you all! Llewellyn Riddle

We've been waiting how long ? ? ?

From the day we filled out our application for adoption (9/11/2007) to the day we picked up Edison's visa to come to the United States (9/11/2008) took exactly one year! Of my three pregnancies - this paper pregnancy was the longest and most stressful. Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

I want to call my mom, but I don't know the country code - HELP!!

Will he wink?????

WE ARE OUT OF PGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days, we are thrilled to announce that our file is out of PGN. We now await Edison's new birth certificate with our names listed as his parents and the Final Adoption Decree. Our estimated travel date is late July!!!!!!!!! God is so good!!

Guatemalan Flag

Guatemalan Flag